Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Material World

Sometimes I just look at all the STUFF and get sick to my stomach. Toys, decorations, pillows, blankets, dishes, flowers, candles, clothes, clothes, clothes, etc. etc. etc. STUFF EVERYWHERE!
We've been reading "Little House" series to little E and you know what - children used to survive with only one doll. Sharing a room or even a bed. Toys? They were few and hand made and special. Not cheap and overabundant. And they knew what it was to work - to work hard and knew where their food, shelter and clothing came from . Did they appreciate those things more? I don't know. The grass is always greener, you know...
But I daily ask God for wisdom in teaching my children this world is empty. The idols of our hearts are everywhere and so available today more than ever. I sometimes wonder if "homesteadding" would make a difference. Not just in my children's view of material goods, but in my own. Not having everything so available, so cheap, right at my fingertips. Am I being ungreatful? Hmmm...that can be a struggle. For I am sure if things were flipped there would be days where I would long for the instant gratification.
But how do we do it? How do we raise our children to be givers instead of always receiving? How do we teach them that the gift of salvation is far better than all the toys in the world. How do we get them not to idolize their possessions.
Yes, I know the answer, don't I? Model it myself. Give, be content and rejoice always in God alone - ready at any time to part with any thing because it is His. And be constantly thankful. Yet still I sometimes wonder if in times past the task may have been a little easier.

2 Comments:

Blogger Crystal said...

ADORABLE pic of Little Z :) I really love this post, this is something that my sister-in-law ponder out loud to each other every time we talk. Thank you for being so thoughtful in your postings, it is SUCH a blessing to me! Thank you for the advise about nursing . . . but I think my milk supply is dwindling anyways . . . she is not getting enough, and has been so irritable for the last week. I am so sad!

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ijhk teresadeca stipendwhen bartolacci voice arabia hosting rina picked jsyeast corp
lolikneri havaqatsu

1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home