Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Monday, February 27, 2006

hope

"Though the fig tree may not blossom,
Nor fruit be on the ines;
Though the labor of the olive may fail,
And the fields yield no food;
Though the flock may be cut off from the fold,
And there be no herd in the stalls -
Yet I will joy in the God of my salvation.
The LORD God is my strength;
He will make my feet like deer's feet,
And He will make me walk on my high hills.
Habakkuk 3:19
Oh that this was constantly the cry of my heart - no matter what I will rejoice in the God of my salvation! Or like Job that I would cry "Though He slay me, still I will trust in Him."
Think of the indication of this passage from Habakkuk - these people relied on the land to live. If there was no crop, no animal in the stalls, no blossoms on the trees...the writer would soon starve to death. But instead of wallowing in grief and worry he says "yet I will joy in the God of my salvation." God. The Sovereign God of the universe.
The God of Abraham - giving life to the barren womb
The God of Isaac - providing atonement at just the right time
The God of Jacob - fulfilling His promises
This is the God who created Heaven and earth - will we doubt Him? Will we seek men to meet our needs instead of the One who has created all things?

"Shall we indeed accept Good from God,
and shall we not accept adversity?"
Job 2:10b
"The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away;
Blessed be the name of the LORD."
Job 1:21b
Why do we get so caught up in the things of this world? Like Paul may we die daily to our selfish desires and do battle with our flesh. May we be able to stand with Job and with Habakkuk and say we "joy in the the God of my salvation."
Without question.
Without looking back.
Without desiring to have things go "my way."
Oh that my sole source of joy would be Him and Him alone.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wrote this prayer by Betty Scott Stam, a missionary to China many years ago if I remember correctly, in the front pages of my Bible, when I first received it as a gift from PB:
"Lord I give up all my plans and purposes, all my own desires and hopes, and accept Thy will for my life. I give myself, my time, my all, utterly to Thee to be thine forever. Fill me and seal me with thy Holy Spirit. Use me as Thou wilt, and send me where Thou wilt, work out Thy whole will in my life at any cost, now forever."

I pray this, but not often enough, it is very, very hard. I have a long way to go, and only by the Grace of God. He has required very little of me and given me so much, of which I deserve nothing.

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a note about Betty Scott Stam in which I wanted to make sure I had the facts straight before commenting last night. She and her husband were martyred in China by the Communist. Check out the story of their life www.us.omf.org

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home