Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Motherhood

Is being a mom a worthy career choice?

What kind of question is that? Well, it's one that many women debate every day because they have bought into the world's system. They've bought the lie that being "just a mom" is a waste of a good mind, good education etc. This even goes on in Christian colleges. I remember at Cedarville the push to be a "professional" woman was so strong, there were special awards given to women who were students with a 4.0, married and pregnant! Like, go, girl, go make something of yourself. I have no problem with women getting a college degree (have one myself, and I enjoy being a student) but what about recognizing that a woman who gets married and especially one who has children should see her first priority as her home and family. And should look to that responsibility as a joy, not a burden!

Before Lukas and I got married, we attended a sunday school class going through the book of Titus. Titus 2:4-5 says:
"[Older women] admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, haste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed."

This launched a deep discussion on just what it meant for the women to be "homemakers." The teacher said something I'll never forget (paraphrasing) "I cannot tell you that a woman can or cannot work outside the home, all I can tell you is what the Bible says. And the Bible says her first priority is to be her home and family. If she can work 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week and still maintain her home and family as the Lord desires that is what she needs to consider."

I remember talking to Lukas and we both wondered what this meant for us, since we'd never heard this passage presented like it were for here and now. I didn't know the half of what "homemaking" consisted of and just what it was to work 40 hours a week. I think John MacArthur makes a very good point in his book "What the Bible Says About Parenting" in a chapter titled "The Mother's Role"

"One of the great disadvantages of a wife who is in the workforce full time is this: She is often forced to subit to men other than her own husband. God's prescribed order is overturned. Clashes between the woman's authority figure at work and her husband in the home are inevitable. Many bosses have no compunctions about ordering a woman in the workplace to sacrifice her prioriteites in the home...it therefore becomes practiccally impossible for most career woimen to fulfill the comand to be "keepers at home." p.192

Perhaps all students at Christian colleges should take a class on what the Bible says about marriage, wives, husbands and child rearing. One whose sole authority is the Bible. Because I did take "Marriage and the family" but it was a lot of psychology and opinion. Or perhaps before they even get there, we as mothers should teach our children what it is to be "keepers at home,." After all, that's what Titus 2 is talking about. I praise the Lord my mother was a homemaker - she sewed, cooked, created, cleaned and I don't remember her ever wishing she were a bigwig professional. She had the biggest job of all that those pro women could never do - raise two girls into responsible young women. A job at times I'm sure she felt entirely unqualified for, but the Lord gave her grace (especially when it came to raising me...)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go! I have worked full-time in the past, and I know even without children, I had a hard time keeping my home! I am thankful for my 'full-time mom', too, and the sacrifices her and my dad willingly gave for her to be able to do that. I look forward to someday being a full-time mom, too! Have a great day!

6:39 PM  
Blogger sharath said...

I just clicked on your blog from the home page. I don't know why! But I do know you have encouraged me just a little bit:) I'm only after reading the last couple of most recent posts. I'll read the rest soon. I think that the idea that the world portrays that being a homemaker being inferior is absolutely wrong. I think it's another example of people (not just women of course!)knowing that they don't feel satisfied but not knowing why. I pray that you may be given the opportunity to bring the light of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus, into the lives of those around you.

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your comments have given me encouragement. I was a career woman until I left the workforce 8 years ago to raise my only child. I enjoy being a homemaker. I have a college degree and worked years in the corporate world, but being a mom, wife and homemaker is my source of fulfillment. However, I feel that my husband does not value the contribution I make to our family. He is always suggesting things for me to try even though we don't need a second income.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home